Church-hospital of Sant Marçal

Construction
14th century.

Architectural features
The church has only one nave without apse, a wooden cover supported by diaphragm arches without buttress. The big wall painting of Sant Cristòfol inside the church is from the 15th century. The inferior part of the main façade is made with blocks of stone, also where the bell tower begins. The rest is mud wall except the wall that later on was part of the city wall, which is made of stone and mortar.

History
It was built according to Jaume Marçal’s will, this man was a rich ragman, in the will he ordered the construction of a hospital and a church to attend poor people. The building consisted in the church and attached to it the poor outhouses. In ancient times the building reached the tower attached to the church. From 1601 it belongs to the Congregació de la Puríssima Sang and all the elements of the Holy Week are kept there.

Visit
Outside visit.

Document Actions