Font Major (Main Fountain)

Construction
From the end of the 18th century to the beginning of the 19th.

Architectural features
It is situated in an extreme of the Major square it is a fountain with three spouts and a drinking trough attached to it whose dimensions were reduced in 1928. In the upper part we can see the Spanish shield in the centre with the Catalonia and Montblanc shields at both sides.

History
At the end of the 18th century the town suffered an epidemic wave which affected most of the population. The Spanish authorities, as a preventive method, took the water from a place outside the town called la Pascuala to the Mercadal square, currently called Major square, using the empty space of a ruined house.

Visit
Outside visit.

Document Actions