Catedral del Vi (Cathedral of Wine)

Construction
20th century.

Architectural features
Built outside the town, between the railway and the cross road, with the main façade looking at the railway. At the back there are the quays which receive the grapes and the tower with the tank of water. In the interior we can see some arches leaning on big pillars which separate the nave.

History
It is a modernist cellar which is a work of the architect Cèsar Martinell. In 1919 the peasants in Montblanc formed a trade union and quickly, like in other villages in Tarragona, began the construction of the cooperative winery. In 1945, the winery was extended by erecting a building next to the main façade, the same as the existing one, and in 1956, another building was added for the oil mill.

Visit
Outside visit. Access is only possible to the agro store, where the grapes were received in the old winery.

Document Actions